Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Do You Want a Heart Like Mary's?



Luke 1:26-38  (NLT) 
26In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a village in Galilee, 27to a virgin named Mary. She was engaged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of King David. 28Gabriel appeared to her and said, "Greetings, favored woman! The Lord is with you!"
29Confused and disturbed, Mary tried to think what the angel could mean. 30"Don't be frightened, Mary," the angel told her, "for God has decided to bless you! 31You will become pregnant and have a son, and you are to name him Jesus. 32He will be very great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David. 33And he will reign over Israel forever; his Kingdom will never end!"
34Mary asked the angel, "But how can I have a baby? I am a virgin."
35The angel replied, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the baby born to you will be holy, and he will be called the Son of God. 36What's more, your relative Elizabeth has become pregnant in her old age! People used to say she was barren, but she's already in her sixth month. 37For nothing is impossible with God."
38Mary responded, "I am the Lord's servant, and I am willing to accept whatever he wants. May everything you have said come true." And then the angel left. 

I cannot imagine the wonder of  what it must have been like for Mary, a relatively young woman, to receive this glorious visitation from Gabriel and the news that she was the chosen mother of Jesus.  Reflecting on this passage, what stands out above all else, for me,  is Mary's unequivocal response.  

Mary put her total life in the hands of God.  She knew there could be severe penalties for being found pregnant in her single state.  But, it appears she did not hesitate even a fraction of a moment.  She trusted God's word above her knowledge.  She was willing to go through whatever would come at her for His sake.  

I am reminded of Jesus' words to count the cost of following Him. (Luke 14:25-28, 33) (The Message)  
5One day when large groups of people were walking along with him, Jesus turned and told them, 26"Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters--yes, even one's own self!-can't be my disciple. 27Anyone who won't shoulder his own cross and follow behind me can't be my disciple.28"Is there anyone here who, planning to build a new house, doesn't first sit down and figure the cost so you'll know if you can complete it?...33"Simply put, if you're not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good-bye, you can't be my disciple.

Being a follower of Jesus is not an easy path.  But once we have tasted the goodness and love of the Lord, there is no other way that matters. 

Pray with me: Father, give me a heart like Mary.  A heart that says, "I am willing to accept whatever You want."  Make me fearless, trusting and eager to do Your will.  Help me remember to pray daily, that everything You have said, will come true.  In Jesus' name I ask, amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment