Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Road Less Traveled

About a week ago, I decided to walk like my grand-dog, walking in crazy circles through underbrush and trails barely seen, as part of my exercise routine.  It has made me feel like a kid again!

As she and I were out on our daily walk,  I saw her at this cross road... if you look closely there is a set of tire tracks diverging to the left.  Up from the recesses of my memory came the poem of Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken,  and his words:

 " I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."

This poem had a significant impact on me when I was in grade school.  I don't remember how old I was, but I remember reading this poem and deciding to always take the less traveled road.  

As I reflected, walking with Cocoa,  I realized that the times I had followed the profound verse of Mr. Frost, my life had been the most fulfilling. They were never easy, but always good.  The times I had followed the easy path,  I would find myself in a rut. 

I never thought that walking like a dog would bring me back to myself.  But it has, "and that has made all the difference!" 



1 comment: