Saturday, December 3, 2011

Anoint the Technology?

Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding. Proverbs 2:2
 
The rain is misting, and as I am sitting, propped up in bed thinking about the Lord and His words, there is a steady dripping sound as the water hits our metal roof. It is a soothing sound to me. After months of drought, I could sit here and listen to it for hours.

The Lord revealed a truth to me in this, however.  Sometimes, even small pleasures can be a distraction from my purpose: to spend time listening to my Jesus. (This is not to say small pleasures cannot be gifts from God...it's in the discerning, does it add to your moment, or steal something away?)  As one who is ADD, I am very easily distracted.  But we don't have to have a label on us, to fall into the same trap of being distracted, when it comes to spending time with the Lord, meditating on His Word, and praying. 

We live in a time of awesome technology and opportunity. So many activities present themselves to us, every moment of every day. Without determined intentionality to focus on the Lord and His thoughts toward us, we can be distracted beyond belief! (This is a double entendre.) Distraction is an intentional attempt to divert someone's attention from what they are doing.The enemy of our souls has so many tools to entice us, tools that humans have invented.

As one who loves all the new toys, I have decided to try something.  I have never given my usage of the computer, phone apps, video games, etc. much thought before.  I have simply tried to apply discipline...sometimes failing miserably. Today, however, as I read Proverbs 2:2, I got the brilliant idea of consecrating all my "stuff" to the Lord.  What does that look like?

I am actually going to get my anointing oil, and anoint everything I use: TV,  DVD players, phone, computers, etc., and ask the Lord to bless them to His service, and for His glory; that He would direct my time as it applies to these things.  I will let you know how it goes. I am actually getting excited to go do it!

I want to be purposeful in obtaining wisdom from God.  This was my "download" from Him today.  I am making my ear to pay attention to wisdom today, and reaching out my inner being to the Lord, for His understanding, as I go about my day.

Blessings, Anna Marie
Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding. Proverbs 2:2

3 comments:

  1. Glory to God that you got rain in Texas! Also, sometimes when those soothing sounds (like rain on the roof) attract your attention, it is not always the evil one trying to distract you. The quiet, peaceful sound of rain after months of dry could be the whisper of God saying, "Here I Am." May He bless you with even more..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Susan! I need to clarify how I sated that, don't I? It was a definite blessing!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete