Monday, October 31, 2011

It's the Small Things...

It's funny, but every morning as I am making my coffee, I remember two wonderful women, and every morning, I think it is funny that I think about them, while I am making my coffee.

When my husband and I were dating, he took me to meet the mother of one of his best friends, Martha Roberts. She was the most gracious woman. Her husband was a well known Houston newspaper columnist, Bill Roberts. I remember walking into their home, and being totally entranced with the books.  Books were everywhere!  As a complete bookophile, I decided then and there, I would save every book I ever read and loved, so that someday, someone would come to my home, and be equally as entranced at my collection.  But, I digress. (I love that word, digress...)

Martha taught me this tiny little trick with coffee making.  She made each cup, individually, using Melitta filters.  She boiled the water, and then, as she poured it into each cup, she only moistened the grounds. She would wait a few seconds, then finished pouring the water into the filters. I remember her saying, "It releases the flavor!"  She was right. And I have made my coffee the same way ever since.

That is one of the memories that accompanies my morning coffee-making  ritual.
The other is about my mom.

One day, Mom was at my house.  I was a new mother.  I made her a cup of coffee.  This was the first time I had been in the position of being a hostess for Mom.  Usually, I would go "home" to hang out with her, and if we drank coffee, it was from her "Mr. Coffee" pot.  I remember Mom watching me make the coffee the way Martha had taught me.  We chatted about the things Martha had explained to me.  When Mom took her first sip, her eyes got big, and she exclaimed, "This is delicious!"

The memory that pops into my head every morning is the result of our little coffee lesson.  From that day on, Mom would always boil her water before putting into her coffee pot! She always would tell anyone who was there watching her, that she learned how to do this from her daughter!  (She had decided that it was the boiled water that had made the difference.  And actually, it did make a huge improvement in the taste of her coffee.) 

So what is my point?  Today, the epiphany came!  The treasure of our lives is hidden in the small things, the moments, the shared bits of life.  I value the way that Martha took time to show me one of her skills, be it ever so small.  And I treasure the way Mom would always tell whoever was drinking her coffee, how she learned to make such a great cup of jo!  I feel so connected to those two beautiful women every day. Today, this gave me a fresh understanding into the heart of Jesus.
In Mark 9:41 he says, "I tell you the truth. If a person helps you by giving you a drink of water because you belong to the Christ, then that person will truly get his reward"
Jesus noticed everything.  He cares about everything.  He wants to reward us for even the smallest, insignificant moments of kindness.   I feel so connected to the Lord in these, little, random things, because, I realize He is in them, and is enjoying my enjoyment!   Rejoice in your daily life!  You can touch someone today in a way that may forever change their life!  The favor of God is in the small things.....

Blessings!
 (Interesting bit about Bill )

No comments:

Post a Comment