Thursday, September 19, 2013

More Thoughts on Loving Others...Are We Approachable?



John 15:12 NKJV
This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

This commandment has me meditating and meditating.  What does it mean to love others as Jesus loved me?  Today, as I was pumpin' iron at the gym, I was thinking about this Word from Jesus.

"How do I do this, Lord? "

"Be approachable, as I am approachable." was the whisper in my head.

How do we come across to others?  Do they feel free to engage us?

I started thinking about approachability.   Who do I feel the safest approaching to ask for directions when I am lost?  It is the person who looks me in the eye and smiles.  They welcome interaction with their warmth.

Have you ever met a stranger who was approachable? This person welcomed you into a conversation, valued your input, made you feel like their new best friend?  You felt all warm and fuzzy, and as you walked off with someone else saying what a lovely person that was, you found out they were famous?

That happened to me.  I was privileged to meet the woman who helped start the National Alliance, an organization to end homelessness in Washington, and wife of a former White House Chief of Staff.  She was totally approachable. We talked, prayed together, laughed together, and I wanted to get to know her better!  I remember being so glad afterwards that I did not know who she was at the time, because I would have been tongue tied!

I know Jesus was like that.  He did not announce who He was.  He welcomed those who came to Him, as if coming into His presence was the most natural, familiar thing in the world.  It says in many places that Jesus looked at them. The transliterated Greek word for 'looked,' in these moments is Horaro.  One of its meanings is actually to see, i.e. to become acquainted with by experience.

He engaged with those who approached Him in such a way they experienced Him.  His disciples felt no resistance in entering into a relationship with Him.  He did not announce, "I Am God! Follow Me!"

Rather, He welcomed all who came to enter into a relationship with Him, in whatever degree they were able. It was after this He was able to be revealed as the great I AM.  

So today, I want to be intentional to be approachable; to really look at others around me in such a way they feel welcomed, recognized, known. Hopefully, they will feel drawn to get to know Jesus, too.   This will be my act of love for others.

Join me?  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, did you write that Anna Marie?-so simple yet so powerful and easily overlooked. I know I can so easily let my past unconciously cause me to let invisible walls to protect my heart be erected but that keeps me from the very thing I want and need-connection with others.
    Wow, the Holy Spirit is massaging your revelations into my heart. Thanks, God bless! Van

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Van! You definitely have so much love to give, don't ever let yourself be invisible! Blessings dear friend!

      Delete