Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Forgiveness, shall we?


Matthew 6:14-15  The Message

"In prayer there is a connection between what God does and what you do. You can't get forgiveness from God, for instance, without also forgiving others. If you refuse to do your part, you cut yourself off from God's part."  ~ Jesus

This past week someone hurled poisonous darts at me with his eyes and tongue.  Even though I knew this person has serious issues, something rose up in me (I believe it's called the Flesh) and I saw myself as Squire Will Danaher (The Quiet Man) taking out my little black book, writing this person's name in it and then scratching it out in determination.

I even dedicated my magnetic refrigerator words to this cad. "The screaming purple monkey's tongue aches!"  (Yeah, I know...)

My husband, Jack, reminded me that we have to pray for this soul.  My response, "I will not waste my breath! I will ask God to bless him, but God knows I won't like it!" 

Fast forward: Sunday morning, sitting in church, communion time is approaching. Repentance hits me, I lean over to Jack and say, "I guess I have to forgive him?"  Jack just smiles. So I did, and asked the Lord to forgive me for taking offense and being unwilling to pray for this person.  I asked Him to bless him and heal him.

Immediately, God downloaded a love for this person. I started laughing and Jack looks at me questioningly.  "I just forgave ... and God gave me a love for him"

I could not quit giggling. I did my part and God did His!

No comments:

Post a Comment