Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Terrible Price

Tonight, Jack and I, and a friend we invited, attended the Maundy Thursday service at our church.
I knew going in it would rip my heart out, and it did.

For those of you not in a liturgical church, it is the day we commemorate the Last Supper.
It is the Christian version of Passover.  This is where Jesus, after observing the Passover supper with His disciples, took the bread and broke it, and told His friends this was His Body which was broken for them.  Then He took the cup of wine and said, "This is my Blood of the new covenant. Drink this as often as you will, in remembrance of Me."

It's difficult to explain what happened to me, but I had a powerful experience with God, singing a song I learned the first year I was a Christian, 1973.  Let us Break Bread Together on our Knees.


"Let us break bread together on our knees. 
Let us break bread together on our knees. 
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, 
O Lord, have mercy on me. 
Let us drink wine together on our knees. 
Let us drink wine together on our knees. 
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, 
O Lord, have mercy on me. 
Let us praise God together on our knees. 
Let us praise God together on our knees. 
When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, 
O Lord, have mercy on me."  American Folk song

As I was singing and worshiping my Jesus, suddenly, I realized the ordeal that was facing Jesus as He said those words.  He knew the suffering He was going to go through.  If you have seen the movie the Passion of the Christ, by Mel Gibson, you have experienced vicariously only an i'nth of His torment.

Suddenly, I felt my spirit falling to my knees in worship as I saw myself receiving Communion.  I could have no other response.  Kneeling as a custom vanished, and my heart was overwhelmed with such gratitude, I do not have words to express.  I saw the disciples having the first Communion service after the death and resurrection of Jesus.  I could see their faces in total worship, total thanksgiving, total comprehension of Jesus' words at that last meal they shared with their Lord.

All I can say is Thank You Jesus!  You paid a terrible price for me.  Oh that I may live my life in such a way that says Thank You always.... I love You, Lord.






1 comment: