Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 36! My Daily Bread?

This morning I was led to read Mark 9:14-29.  The disciples had attempted to cast a demon out of a boy, but had failed.  The boy's father comes to Jesus and asks Him to help. Jesus rebukes the spirit and heals the boy.  When the disciples ask Jesus why they could not cast it out, He replies, "This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting."

What always stands out to me is Jesus said this but He didn't go fast and pray before casting the demon out.  Thus, I believe He lived a life of prayer and fasting.  I remember when He told his disciples when they urged Him to eat on their journey through Samaria, "I have food to eat of which you do not know....My food is to do the will of Him who sent me, and to finish His work."

He didn't impose fasting on them while He was with them, but He was showing them the future; when He would no longer be with them in the flesh.  Fasting somehow allows for a greater intimacy with God which equips us to do His will.  It removes barriers in us to the flow of His Spirit. Perhaps those barriers come down as we submit our wills by choosing His will for sustenance rather than food.

However fasting works, I am thankful for this gift.  This corporate fast has been a rich experience for me.  I have found much joy in the testimonies and revelations I have heard from my fellow sojourners.  40 days sounded like a really long time before we started.  Now it feels like it has gone by way to quickly.  I have heard from  some who want us to keep the Facebook group going as well as the fasting website.  I believe that this is a good idea.  I know I have felt so connected spiritually to all those who are posting comments and prayer requests.  Perhaps having these forums will encourage all of to make this a lifestyle; that we may say with Jesus, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent me, and to finish His work."

1 comment: