Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Go With the Flow??

My mom was an adventuresome gal.  She had a bit of a wild streak.  Growing up, Mom, my brother Hal and I traveled across the U.S. every summer, heading to my grandmothers' homes.  Garm lived in Montana, Grandma in Minnesota.  We always traveled a different route so we could see something new.

During the years of our convertible VW bug (1960's), I vividly remember traveling in "convoys."  After spending hours on winding, country roads, Mom would get back on the interstate to make up time.  She would find a convoy of 18-wheelers zooming down the road, and insert our little 'bug' into the middle of it.  With the top down, her short blonde hair flying, my brother and I would turn around in the backseat (This was before the tediousness of seatbelts!) and give the trucker behind us the whistle sign: pulling on an imaginary train whistle and shouting woot woot!  It was a blast!  The truckers would blow their horns in response and we would laugh and giggle...fun times!  What I didn't realize at the time was how fast we were flying!  The trucks had CB radios and would let each other know about highway patrol officers, so they could slow down in time to avoid tickets.  We made really good time!  LOL!  I still remember the thrill of speed and the comaradarie with the truckers.  Many times, we would pull into truck-stops for a meal along with some of the truckers.  They would always goodnaturedly tease us about our 'bug' and say, "Hope you don't end up on a windshield!"  Other times, we would pull off the highway, leaving the convoy, with the truckers all giving mom their salute: Two toots on the horn.

A few years ago, I was on a road trip with my daughter-in-law and grandchildren.  We were heading back south from a trip to Montana.  South of Denver, driving down Interstate-25,  we found ourselves in a convoy!  Things have changed. Truckers don't seem to fly like they used to, but it still has a safe feel to it, so I will insert myself into line of 18-wheelers when I can.  Call me crazy!
Anyway, I am telling Kathleen this story of my mom and our 'bug' and laughing. We are approaching Colorado Springs, where we remembered a McDonald's, and we exit for lunch.  All the truckers are exiting with us, and I made the comment, "Wow, I didn't think an 18-wheeler could fit in the drive-through at Mickey D's!"

Suddenly, realization came.  We had exited into a weigh station!  Oh My Gosh!  I was so embarrassed and amused at the same time!  Kathleen and I laughed so hard!  What a joke!  But I learned a lesson about going with the flow.  You can get so relaxed, sometimes it will take you where you don't want to go!

I think I'll swim against the current!

Blessings, Anna Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment