Thursday, March 3, 2011

No Place Like Paris! Texas, That Is!

Once upon a drive, my husband and I, and our two little boys, were on our way to Montana to see family. We were living in East Texas near Houston at the time, so by the time we got to Paris, TX we were feeling like we were almost to Montana!  If you have ever driven across the state of Texas, you know what I mean.  Anyhow, we bumped over the railroad tracks and turned left, turned right, and there calling out to us was an old-fashioned diner.  Food break!!  We went in and were greeted by two of the sweetest little-old-ladies this side of the Red River!

Having a meal at this precious establishment, was like eating a grandma-cooked meal.  The women giggled and entertained our two young sons, the youngest being a baby.  We had brought Stevie's little rubber squeaky-dog toy in with us to help keep him entertained and it worked!  While the ladies kept him occupied, I actually got to eat my entire meal without having to nurse him or entertain him...you young moms know what I mean!...

We had so much fun, we almost walked out with out paying for our meal!  It felt like family!  Such a great place... wonder if anyone out there knows the place?  Anyway,  the rest of our trip was great and we had a wonderful time with Garm and aunts and cousins.  Somewhere during the trip we discovered that we had left the squeaky toy behind...I was sad because it had first belonged to our older child and both boys had loved it.  On the way home we stopped to see if it was still there, but the cafe was closed.

The following year,  we were once again on our way north to see family.  This time for a family reunion in Minnesota. (I can still see my Auntie Mabel proudly carrying her tiny Jello salad in and saying, "I brought the salad!")  We arrived in Paris, bumped over the railroad tracks, turned left, turned right and yes! There was the diner and it was open!  Our mouthes were watering for some great homemade victuals...and yippee! It was still run by the same dear ladies!

We walked through the door with our two little boys in tow and were greeted like old friends!  These two women remembered us!!  One of them scurried over to the cash register and said, "I have something for you..." She pulled out the squeaky doggie from under the counter and handed it to the boys!  I was speechless! She said, "We knew you'd be back, because you loved our food so much!" What an amazing act of love!  That is my America!  I will never forget their kindness.

Ahhh Paris!!   ~ Anna Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment